30 October 2006

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Warfield - 10/13/06


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Is Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! the prototype of how bands operate and music is created in the next decade? Their internet savvy and lack of label (in the US at least) makes you think that this model of self-publishing and promotion might just work. But CYHSY is a different beast than most bands. For starters, they make truly excellent and innovative music. People who like their music are willing to put some effort into finding it. This isn't the model with which Ashlee Simpson could succeed.

But I shouldn't get too involved in the economics of the music industry. I won't stray too far from the formula: concert reviews and bad pictures. I hope you agree that the picture on the side is bad. As for the concert review, I suggest you read my review of the last time I saw them. Having seen them before and feeling conflicted about their live show, I didn't exactly know what to expect. But apparently CYHSY reads Jealousy because this time around they kept the best, high-energy parts of their show and dropped the slow snoozers. Almost every song was fast and that allowed everyone to sway/dance/shake that ass during the show.

The best part of the show had to be the encore where they turned the Christmas lights on and played some favorites. They finished with Satan Said Dance. That really is a great finisher. It isn't anything particularly special other than being a rocker that everyone can sing along to. Putting it in the middle of a set would just be a waste an probably disrupt the flow of said set. But putting it at the end lets you leave the shithouse that is the Warfield with a good taste in your mouth. I didn't take a straw poll, but I think Danielle, Jon, and Jason (who saw the show with me) would agree.

As a postscript, I ponder how a band that owes its success to the internet doesn't have a single song to download on its website.


No comments: