29 October 2006

Thunderbirds Are Now! - Bottom of the Hill - 10/12/06


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
If you like live music (and I know you do!), you like Thunderbirds Are Now!. (As an aside, was I supposed to put a period after the exclamation point? I feel like all of this extra punctuation is making my third grade teacher spread the jam.) TAN! gives the best basic live show out there. Sure, bands like the Flaming Lips and Of Montreal can put on a good show, but it really is a lot of theatrics combined with the music. TAN! is just raw energy.

But when you've got a guy doing hand stands and the jumping-over-his-own-leg dance move, you know you've got something special. I've seen TAN! twice now, and they've killed both times. They have a new album out, which might not be quite as good as their last one, but still has many solid (and a few excellent) tracks on it.

The recipe for a TAN! show is 1) Start with a typical rock show 2) Increase the energy to as high as you've seen 3) Throw in a bunch of danceable beats 4) Get the audience involved by dancing in the audience and/or giving audience members tambourines 5) Have one band member walk that knife's edge of stage antics and real insanity. I think the only thing that could have made the show better is if there were more people there. The place was maybe half full. I don't understand that, but maybe the next time they come through town we can give them a better welcoming.

A big bonus is that these guys hail from Detroit. And the bass player graduated college with me (although I didn't know him then).

Thunderbirds Are Now! - Eat This City

Thunderbirds Are Now! - Eat This City (Video)

No comments: