08 October 2006

Andrew Bird - Great American Music Hall - 9/22/06


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Andrew Bird is simply amazing. Then why did I not stay for the encore?

Ben, Jason, Annie, Danielle, and I met up at Great American to see the creator of my favorite album of last year. The first thing you notice when hearing him is that he has complete control over ever sound that emanates from his body. His whistling is incredible. At first I didn't even think it was real, it came so effortlessly.

And despite his mastery of stringed instruments, I was still disappointed by the show. The place was really hot, so being physically uncomfortable didn't help anything. But the big issue is that he played mostly new material. I hadn't heard this stuff and although it sounded pretty good, I didn't appreciate it the same way I did when he sang the songs I've listened to a hundred times, dissecting the lyrics, and hearing the subtle inflections in his voice. And the smaller issue is that when he sang his "classics," he sang them erratically, as if the album versions bored him so much that he wished he didn't have to sing them at all.

So after he finished his set, my group decided to take off, leaving the sweaty room for some party. I'm sure the encore was everything I was missing during the normal set, but I had had enough.

As one last note, Andrew Bird can actually use looping pedals, unlike Feist who sucks at looping even more than she sucks at playing guitar.

Andrew Bird - A Nervous Tic Motion Of The Head To The Left

Listen to the entire album here

No comments: