26 March 2006

You Look Like David Bowie


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
On Friday, while the cool kids were at the Strokes concert and the really cool kids were at the Metric concert, the scenesters were watching Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!. The show was at the Great American, which is my favorite SF venue.

The openers were the Brunettes. I saw them open for Rilo Kiley before. They're a really odd band using a lot of percussion and hand claps int their songs. The problem with them is that the songs aren't that great and their voices don't help the cause. I don't know how this band has opened for both Rilo Kiley and CYHSY, but I'm going to assume they have some incriminating photos.

Before CLHSY went on, Annie decided to take advantage of some concert newbies and we jumped from the third row of people to the first. You might think that it doesn't make that much of a difference, but it really does. For instance, if I weren't right up front I couldn't have told you that all of the band members (save one) had really bad shoes. In fact, none of them were really good dressers. Or are corduroy pants and silk vests coming back?

So if anyone out there is on the fence about CYHSY and the one thing holding you back is the strained vocals, don't go to a live show. Apparently recording equipment has not been invented that can capture the full strain of CYHSY vocals since the album is dramatically easier on the ears. That said, I like the strained vocals and after a couple of songs I got used to the difference. I might even like it more strained.

The show was really polarized. During their faster songs, they really rocked and looked like they were having fun doing it. But during the slower ones I started to get bored. They wouldn't move from their designated spots. I still appreciated the songs, but I go to shows for more than what I can get off the album.

After the show I dropped Annie and Susan off and grabbed a burrito. That's the best way to end any night.

No comments: