15 March 2006

I Love You Jon!


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
After seeing The Spinto Band the previous night at Cafe Du Nord, I got to see them open for the Arctic Monkeys at Great American. At Du Nord, I was right up front, beyond the main speakers, so I was listening to the set through the monitors. The second show had dramatically better sound.

The Spinto Band is pretty young (19-22), but they really put on a good live show. There sound is tight and they have fun up there. I also created a connection between one band member (Jon). His cousin's friend was in the audience at Du Nord. So I cheered for him exclusively. I also got to give a shout out to Delaware (where they're from).

The Arctic Monkeys are, as expected, mostly hype. I thought they were supposed to be good live? They barely said two words to the audience, and hardly moved around. That combined with all of the 15 year olds pushing around up front caused me to move to the back (how old am I?).

In the back I ran into Jon. We talked briefly before the show, and while watching the Arctic Monkeys he tried to convince me that they were good. I think he was just being nice. After we were done talking he went to the merch table. A minute later he gave me a handful of stickers.

It's that sort of thing that gets you die-hard fans. Jon, and the Spinto Band as a whole, expect to see/hear me the next time you're in town.

No comments: