26 March 2006

Love is a Number


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
I had intended to see Tapes 'n Tapes on Thursday. Even though they've got the hype machine that is the interweb pushing them forward, I still dig them. They're not the next Radiohead or anything, but a good band that I wanted to see.

Unfortunately, by the time we got to Du Nord, the show was sold out. I don't get it. Just a week prior I saw Spinto Band and didn't have any ticket problems. Is Tapes 'n Tapes bigger?

Anyway, we were planning on going to Popscene after the show, so we just went a little early. And White Rose Movement was there. I didn't realize that I had one of their songs in the old iTunes until I heard them play it (actually, I thought that they were maybe playing a cover).

So WRM (as I'm going to call them from now on) is the right type of band to play Popscene: British. That and their music is very danceable. I don't know if it would work in a larger venue or if people weren't in the mood to dance.

Anyway, like all Popscene sets, WRM's was short. But they rocked pretty hard while they were on stage. The singer was energetic enough to keep me interested. And the keyboard player was way cute.

When the set ended, the crowd devolved into the normal under-age indie dance party.

No comments: