07 November 2006

Voxtrot / Love Is All - Popscene - 11/2/06

"Charming" was the theme for the night. Both Voxtrot and Love Is All are quite charismatic and have the ability to win over people who come to their show but don't know their music. Annie and I got to Popscene early enough to watch Love Is All, hearing ahead of time that they put on a kick-ass live show. The studio versions of Love Is All's songs are okay and definitely have merit, but they're not really enjoyable in the normal sense.

Their live act, on the other hand, is quite enjoyable. The staccato yell-sing words over the crowded background of guitars, drums, and sax seems to resonate in your body. Apparently these Swedes have tapped into the alligator portion of our brains. It's difficult not comparing them to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. I mean they both have strong female leads with convoluted, noisy, artsy music. Listen to Talk Talk Talk Talk (below) and tell me that you couldn't see the Yeah Yeah Yeahs playing that. In short, despite their harsh sound, they won me over.

Voxtrot didn't need to win me over, they had me at hello. Ramesh is one of the best frontmen around. He makes girls swoon and boys question their sexuality. His playful style and bad dance moves are very enduring. His personality perfectly matches the light and hooky (yet still complex and interesting) music the band plays. The set was short (as all Popscene sets are), but they played enough new stuff to make me have doubts about their full-length debut. Their first two EPs are magical, but Your Biggest Fan seems to be a little too repetitive. I think a good producer could point them in the right direction though.

But don't think that I didn't like their performance. But I've seen them 4 times in the last year (my review from May and I'll have another review up shortly). I want them to evolve, and I think they're trying to move forward, I just think they need a little help.

Voxtrot - Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, & Wives

Voxtrot - Trouble

Voxtrot - The Start Of Something

Love Is All - Talk Talk Talk Talk

Love Is All - Busy Doing Nothing

No comments: