04 November 2006

The Decemberists - Warfield - 10/19/06

I've seen The Decemberists more than any other band. Or at least I think I have. I've seen them 8 times, give or take. Essentially every time they have come through San Francisco, I've been able to watch Colin and gang. My first Decemberists show was in a cafeteria at UC Santa Cruz. It looked like a high school talent show. Well the beans don't burn on the grill any more for the Decemberists. (As an aside, once on the way out of a Decemberists show, Daniel Handler, a.k.a. Lemony Snicket, grabbed my ass... or maybe he just bumped into me. But it felt like there was some cupping.)

With a big record contract, the Decemberists got a touring budget that allowed them some Chinese lamps. But really, they seem like they're doing the same-old show, which is good and bad. Other than the really cool grab-someone's-cell-phone-and-sing-to-the-dude-on-the-other-side bit, there really wasn't anything new. And definitely nothing that really grabbed me. Without Petra Haden along for the ride (or Rachel Blumberg beating the skins), I felt like there wasn't as much personality on stage. Or maybe it's just becoming the Colin Meloy show and the rest of the band is taking a back seat.

I'll keep seeing the Decemberists when they pass through (even if it's at a bad venue like the Warfield), even if they're sliding down my live bands ranking. But there is a point when listening to the albums and remembering the shows is enough. I just hope the Decemberists break up or I get old before that happens.

The Decemberists - July! July!

The Decemberists - Shiny

The Decemberists - The Soldiering Life

No comments: