15 June 2006

Steady, As She Goes


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Last week I saw two "shows." I use the ever-popular quotations because they were unlike most shows I go to. The first was of music I know and like, but it was in a record store, and I couldn't really see the band at all (a photo from Ben's camera shows our distant view). The other was a band I didn't know at all and I ended up mostly talking to friends during the set. I'm normally opposed to that, but I made an exception.

Early on Thursday, Ben and I went to Amoeba to catch the Raconteurs, a combination of two of my favorite Michigan musicians, Jack White and Brendan Benson.

Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Their music isn't quite what I was hoping for when I heard of the collaboration. It sounds more like Jack wrote some songs and Brendan wrote the others. There isn't as much of a merge of sounds. Anywho, Prasad met us at Amoeba and we took in the set from about a football field away. Jack White is a good musician to see live since he actually changes the songs a little. Not like the new David Lee Roth version of Jump, but just a few new notes thrown in.

After that show finished, the three of us met up with Andrea and Jeni to see the Skygreen Leopards.

Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Billed as "Band of Horses if they weren't dicks" by Ben, I figured I'd give them a try. Band of Horses? No. They had a solid laid-back sound. The highlight was running into Udi, a really nice and cool guy I met a couple of weeks earlier. Not a very eventful night overall.

Check out the new video for the Raconteurs single, Steady, As She Goes.



And if you want to hear the Skygreen Leopards, check out their myspace page.

No comments: