04 August 2006

Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos - Popscene - 8/3/06


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
Why is the percussionist (not to be confused with the drummer) always the most interesting person in the band to watch? My current theory is that as children these were the kids that constantly goofing off in class to get the teacher's attention. And now they get to bang on loud things to get attention.

Anyway, Annie, Thea, and I went to Popscene to catch Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos (which may be the worst band name by a good band ever). Popscene is the place in San Francisco to show off your leg warmers and bullet belt. It's also the place to go if you're indie and under 21. It's gotten to the point where I feel pretty old going there. How long do I have before I feel old at bars?

As far as the music, MatNSaS (which should be pronounced "mat-an-sass") played a relatively long set for Popscene. They have a very full sound, which one might expect with eight members. The overlapping male and female vocals add even more depth. Most of their songs are pretty mellow, which is nice, but the venue is really best for bands that bring the rock (Hot Hot Heat killed there). But a couple of the songs swapped acoustic for electric guitar and really kicked things into gear. Those were the songs that made me think this was a good show. With only the slower stuff, I'd forget about this show in a couple of months.

Maybe I'm just in the mood for a band that can get me jumping and dancing. Wolf Parade is in a couple of weeks and that should be the fix I desire.


Here is a pretty good video of one of their rockin' songs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite popscene shows of 2006- i absolutley loved margot! (and thought the opening band, cities, were quite good, too. reminded me of editors and early stills)