03 April 2006

Hardcore Days & Softcore Nights / Every Moment


Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.
I had the perfect plan. I drove to the airport so that when I got back from Hawaii, I could go directly to Bimbo's to catch Aqueduct and Rogue Wave. What I hadn't planned on was that the people with my tickets might not be there when I got there. Luckily, cell phones were put to use and I only waited outside for about 10 minutes.

I went with Annie, Karin, her sister Erica, Susan, and her boyfriend Jason. Since this was a Noise Pop show, I feel like there weren't as many hard-core fans as normal. But up front, you always get the crazies.

So I got there just as Aqueduct was starting. This is really one of the best live acts out there. They're fun and energetic. Unfortunately, the only times I've seem them is as openers, so the sets are much shorter than what I want.

They played a good mix of old songs and some off an upcoming LP. The new songs sounded pretty good, but nothing really hooked me like the old stuff. I guess we'll have a real verdict in a few months when the new album comes out.

After that, Rogue Wave put on another solid show. Dressed all in white, I think they are starting to move toward larger indie-rock status. At least large enough to worry about their wardrobes.

Originally uploaded by ryanfoley.

The interesting thing about Rogue Wave is that they make some pretty significant changes to their songs when playing them live. If you're a fan and know the music, I think this is a pretty big plus, but my guess is that for newcomers, it isn't that great. The album versions are simply better songs. But we see live shows for the things that aren't on the album, so that's why I like the changes.

As a minor note, Annie got them to play a Buddy Holly cover. I wish they would have player March, which is a great song that was on a Comes with a Smile disk.

No comments: